Each Client added to your System, can have its own login page, and own products and everything else. The client can have hundreds of users who can all order, order on behalf of each other, manage their own shipping addresses and see their own order histories. To organise all these users further you can use ‘Departments’. In various places and deployments, Departments have been called ‘Franchises’, ‘Locations’, ‘Branches’, ‘Groups’, and other names. What is the effect of Departments?
Using departments you can:
- Limit what the users can see. (eg Users in the New York don’t need to see Stock from California)
- Allow ‘Managers‘ to manage groups of users, and approve their orders
- Implement Budgets for groups of users.
- Limit available Shipping Addresses
- Allow for more specific ‘Order on Behalf of‘
- Load more specific data onto product templates.
Each Department can have 1+ Managers. These are users who can Order on Behalf of more people, see the personal addresses of people in those departments, see their orders, and make approvals.
You can also make 1+ users into ‘Senior Managers’ who can see and do everything.